Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Being Disconnected

So to make an incredibly long boring story shorter I just recently went 5 weeks with no cell phone (not by my choice), and it definitely gave me a totally different look at how things would be if I didn't carry my usual smartphone device.
I have to say that being "disconnected" for those 5 weeks was not all bad. I initially thought that it would be hell, because i'm thinking to myself, "how will I check sports scores when i'm out? How will I keep up to date with what's going on? How will i respond to emails? All these things passed through my head, but ultimately it just hit me that having a phone that can do all that was a major luxury and not a necessity no matter how much I thought it was. It was weird not having a phone, suddenly instead of me texting people and being "connected" to everyone that had my number, I all of sudden was out of touch, people had to work to get in touch with me, which I must say was nice. I would show up at my dorm room after class and have about 5-6 messages on Facebook of people asking me to call them. When I was home for spring break, people had to call my house phone! Yes my landline at my house! I know some people that don't even know their own landline numbers anymore because people just never use them. So after that 5 week period passed I picked up a brand new HTC Thunderbolt and this phone literally is the complete opposite of not having a device. This thing syncs my Facebook and Twitter into one and updates them constantly. It is truly amazing, but not having a device for that long of time was definitely strange but also very cool to experience because it had been so long since I had been disconnected. Like I said, the only advantage is that people have to reach out to you, you do a lot less work finding plans and kind of just get pulled into plans. I must say, it was nice.





No comments:

Post a Comment