Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Quick Tech Review-Google Maps Navigation Beta

           So I finally have gotten a chance to try out and test the newly released Google Maps Navigation, and let me just say I am impressed. Google has Garmin and Nuvi shaking in their boots about this very exciting release. I put my Droid into the Motorola made Car dock and the Droid obviously fits nice and snug, and the massive 3.7inch bright screen makes viewing the Navigation application a pleasurable experience. The app also comes with Google’s voice recognition software that actually works amazingly well. I press the voice command button and say, “navigate to J. Crew,” (because as you know I have to stay stylish) a list of the closest stores pops up as the Navigation app launches, I choose my desired destination and I’m off.
        My first Impression of the software was that it was very visually pleasing. I previously owned a $150 or so Garmin and the look of the software on it was very “pixely” and choppy. The Google Maps look is a lot easier to use and work with. As I continued driving I realized I had become rather parched and was hoping to find a place I could stop off to get a drink and perhaps a bite to eat. Hitting the Layers button in the Menu allowed me to add a number of different “layers,” such as Gas Stations and ATM’s and Banks, and Restaurants. It was so perfect how the UI of the app was designed. Another great but subtle feature is in the bottom left corner there is a light that is either lit up green, yellow, or red which represents the traffic for the route you have entered. If the light is red there is the option to re-route even before you come in contact with the traffic. As my drive continued the voice of the person did get somewhat annoying being it sounds like a very old fashion robot, but honestly it’s a small small price to pay for this app, and did we forget to mention it’s FREE! About to arrive at my destination Google Nav gives me a street view of my destination just incase I don’t know what it looks like, which is another great help.
      All in all the app worked great, I know some people have complained of the app telling them to turn onto one-way streets, but I’m sure those tiny kinks will be worked out in version 1.0 because remember this is a beta; To sum up, owners of Motorola Droids, or Nexus One’s or whatever other hacked device that might have this app, be happy and grateful Google is giving something so great away for free. Until next time



johnnb

No comments:

Post a Comment